Pre-house move planning – PART 1
You’ll find that the weeks leading up to your big move will mostly consist of lists. Things to do. Things to pack. People to tell. You will become the most expert list maker in the world. So, to get you in the mood, we’ve compiled three top ten lists to kick things off. Here’s Part 1… this stuff is easy to overlook, we hope it helps!
Top Ten Last-Minute Questions to Ask Your Seller
You have a million things to remember, but it will really make your life easier, post-house move, if this information is easily to hand. Check with the agents, therefore, that the sellers are leaving the following details for you.
- Back to basics… where is:
- a) The main stopcock?
- b) The gas meter?
- c) The electricity meter?
- d) The water meter?
- e) The thermostat?
Sometimes these things are obvious, but you really don’t want to be tackling a water leak when you don’t know where the stopcock is. Don’t feel it’s daft to ask. You’ll feel dafter in an emergency if you don’t know.
- Who currently supplies:
- a) Gas?
- b) Electricity?
- c) Water?
- d) Broadband?
- e) Telephone?
A lot of this information is often supplied in the Seller’s Information Form, but if they’ve missed off answering those questions, it’s worth getting the agent to ask for you. You don’t want any of those utilities cutting off because you didn’t know who to pay…
- What day are the bins collected? What are the recycling rules? – A bit of forward planning will help with the unpacking mess.
- Do any surfaces need special cleaning products, e.g. granite worktops? – Forewarned is forearmed, as they say. You fell in love with the house, and you want to keep it looking sparkly!
- Does the seller know where the kitchen and bathroom tiles came from? – If you’re planning on some redecorating, make it easier on yourself.
- Does the seller have any old tins of paint in the same colour as the walls? – As per the above point, but definitely with gold baubles on! It will make touching up possible in some rooms if you know the exact colour and brand.
- Does the seller have any instruction manuals or warranties on electrical items? – A lot of information is on the internet, but if it’s easily to hand it will save time.
- Does the seller know where any fixed furniture came from, e.g., kitchen cabinets? – Again, if you’re planning on some redesign work, it will just make life easier to know.
- Where can we buy an emergency pint of milk? – You can never underestimate the usefulness of this information. And there’s no reason why it shouldn’t include a bottle of wine too.
- Where can we get our first night takeaway? – This needs no explanation!
And if that hasn’t got you thinking and planning, then we don’t know what will. If you have any top tips yourselves, please do share them with us, though. Who knows, it might just make someone’s next move that little bit smoother. Part 2 – Top Ten Pre-Pack Planning Tips – coming next!